The Big Write
The Galesburg Public Library’s Annual Creative Writing Contest
Sponsored by the Friends of the Library
Part of Galesburg Public Library’s NEA Big Read of The Poetry of Emily Dickinson. NEA Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest.
A paper copy of these Submission Guidelines can be picked up at the library’s Reference Desk.
Submission Guidelines for 2017:
Two categories of submissions are being accepted:
- Short Stories
- Poetry and song lyrics
Submissions will be grouped into four levels:
- High School
- Middle School
- 3rd through 5th Grade
Up to three winners in each age group and category will be awarded prizes of $10 to $25.
- All submissions must be the original and creative work of the person submitting them and should have been written within the last year.
- Each contestant may submit up to two short stories and two poems.
- The submissions do not have to be written exclusively for the Big Write; they may be submitted to other contests.
- No information identifying the entrant may be included on any pages except the cover page. The cover page should include the contestant’s name, street address, email address if available, and phone number if available. The cover page should also specify the contestant’s level (adult, high school, middle school, or 3rd-5th grade).
- Short stories must be typed in 12 point type and can be no longer than 8 pages double-spaced.
- Poems and stories submitted electronically may be published in a local newspaper or online. Submission indicates your permission for the entry to be published. No short stories or poems will be returned.
- Writers can reside outside the Galesburg/Knox County area.
The submission deadline is Wednesday, March 8, 2017.
Materials may be emailed to email@example.com, dropped off in person at the library, or emailed to Writing Contest, Galesburg Public Library, 40 E. Simmons St., Galesburg, Il 61401. Electronic submissions are preferred. Contest winners only will be notified in the middle of April. A list of winners will be available at the library.
A reception for winners, entrants, friends, family, and the community will be held at 2:00 pm on April 22 at the library. Refreshments will be served and the winners will have the opportunity to read their entries.