The Big Write
The Galesburg Public Library’s Annual Creative Writing Contest Sponsored by the Friends of the Library
Part of The Big Read 2014
Two categories of submissions are being accepted:
- Short Stories (including manga/graphic short stories)
- Poetry and song lyrics
Submissions will be grouped into four levels:
- High School
- Middle School
- 3rd through 5th Grade
Up to three winners in each age group and category will be awarded prizes of $25, $15, and $10.
- All submissions must be the original and creative work of the person submitting them.
- Each contestant may submit up to two short stories, two poems, and two graphic stories.
- No information identifying the entrant may be included on any pages except the cover page. The cover page should include the contestant’s name, street address, email address if available, and phone number if available. The cover page should also specify the contestant’s level (adult, high school, middle school, or 3rd-5th grade).
- Short stories must be typed in 12 point type and can be no longer than 8 pages double-spaced.
- Entries should not be submitted in special binders.
- Poems and stories submitted electronically may be published in a local newspaper or online. Submission indicates your permission for the entry to be published. No short stories or poems will be returned. Graphic stories can be picked up after the reception on April 27.
- Graphic stories (original stories told with pictures as well as text) can be submitted in the short story category. They can be jointly created by two people and submitted as one entry. They should be submitted on one 11 x 17 page of poster board/card stock, not as a booklet. High quality 11 x 17 color copies may also be submitted. There is no maximum or minimum number of panels.
The submission deadline is Saturday, March 1, 2014.
Materials may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, dropped off in person at the library, or emailed to Writing Contest, Galesburg Public Library, 40 E. Simmons St., Galesburg, Il 61401. Electronic submission are preferred. Contest winners only will be notified in the middle of April. A list of winners will be available at the library.
A reception for winners, entrants, friends, family, and the community will be held on Saturday, April 26, at 2:00 PM at the library. Refreshments will be served and the winners will have the opportunity to read their entries. Any graphic short stories will be on display.
The Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest.