The Galesburg Public Library has the following position open:
The position reads shelves, shelf checks overdue items and applies acquired knowledge to help customers locate materials. The shelver position is physically demanding and requires bending, lifting, reaching, moving furniture and locating and obtaining information and materials throughout the library in a wide variety of sizes and shapes, walking and standing for extended periods and carrying a reasonable selection of materials between places where they are stored and places where they are used. Hours are irregular. Ability to work evenings and Saturdays is required. Customer service and library work experience a plus.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Ability to learn the Dewey Decimal System and other library filing systems.
- Awareness of the purposes and functions of the public library and the ability to learn routine library procedures.
- Projects a positive and pleasant attitude to the public and cooperates and maintains an effective relationship with other staff members as part of a team.
- Adheres to library policies and procedures.
- Collects book drop.
- Shelves books and other library materials in proper order.
- Does shelf reading to assure materials are in proper order.
- Dusts and cleans shelves.
- Locates requested items.
- Assists staff with checking materials for damage and removing them from the shelves.
- Answers directional questions.
- Performs various clerical tasks at the circulation desk as needed. These tasks include charging and discharging library materials, processing overdues, processing holds.
- Does light janitorial chores.
- Performs other tasks as requested.
- Provides clerical assistance in other library departments as needed.
- Part time: 15 hours per week, occasionally 20 hours per week
- Minimum wage
- No benefits
To apply, please fill out a job application (available at the Check-Out Desk or online and return it to Sara Naslund at the Circulation Desk.
Thank you for your interest in the Galesburg Public Library.
Applications will no longer be accepted after 1/3/2015.
This job description is not, nor is it intended to be, a complete statement of all duties, functions and responsibilities that comprise this position.