Five library staff members showcased their culinary talents for our very first Dip Day contest this September. Entries ran the gamut of tastes, from pickle chip dip to a sweet apple dip, and were thoroughly taste-tested by staff. The winning creation, as voted on by her peers, was by Carolyn Pierson, technical services clerk. Past competitions have included a chocolate bake-off and chili cook-off. Enjoy the dip recipes, just in time for fall tailgating!
By Carolyn Pierson **winner**
12 oz. Cream cheese (1 1/2 packages)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 oz. of chopped walnuts
1 Heath or Skor bar shaved into tiny pieces
Mix by hand and refrigerate. Slice Granny Smith apples and rinse them in pineapple juice to keep white, if necessary.
BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
By Hillary Dillon
1 can of chicken breast meat
1 package of cream cheese
shredded Colby jack cheese
Burman’s Hot Sauce (can by any hot sauce – we just like the flavor of this)
1. Heat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit
2. In a baking dish (I normally use a 9×13), spread the cream cheese into an even layer along the bottom.
3. Heat chicken up in a skillet until it is all white and in smaller pieces
4. While chicken is cooking, combine hot sauce and ranch in a bowl to taste. I recommend starting with 1/4 cup of ranch and then adding hot sauce to taste. You will want to mix enough sauce to coat the chicken.
5. Once the chicken is ready, add it to the sauce in the bowl and mix it together.
6. Spread the chicken on top of the layer of cream cheese.
7. Top with shredded Colby jack cheese (I usually make sure it is all covered, but you can use as much as you like) and bake until melted and bubbly (about 10 minutes).
Created by Taste of Home and submitted by Meghan Bohn
FENTON FAMILY GARLIC CHIP DIP
By Heather Sipes
2 – 8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup Miracle Whip
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons garlic salt (adjust to taste)
Blend all ingredients.
DILL PICKLE DIP
By Eileen Castro
4 ounces Cream Cheese – softened
16 ounces Full Fat Sour Cream
1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Fresh Dill
1 Cup Chopped Dill Pickles
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
Pinch Salt/Pepper, to taste
Mix cream cheese and sour cream until combined
Add all other ingredients and mix together
*Can be served immediately but is even better after 1-2 hours of refrigeration.