Are you a teen looking for some volunteer hours? A retiree looking for a way to fill some time? Someone who just LOVES the library and wants to help out? Consider becoming a volunteer!
Here are some of the current volunteer opportunities we have available:
- Adopt-a-Shelf volunteers care for a section of the library by making sure that the books are clean, in good condition, and in proper order.
- Volunteers age 14 and up are welcome to adopt the Young Adult or Children’s section.
- Volunteers age 18 and up are welcome to adopt any of the following sections: Adult Fiction, Adult Nonfiction, Mystery, Western, Romance, Large Print, Audiobooks, or AudioVisual.
- Adopt-a-Shelf is a great opportunity for people who are detail-oriented and would like a flexible schedule.
- Writing Reviews
- Want to read books before they are officially published? Do you have strong opinions about the books you read? Share them with us on our blog! Volunteers will choose advance reader copies (ARCs) of upcoming publications and give other readers the inside scoop.
- If you would like to write a review but aren’t quite sure where to start, that’s OK! We will provide guidelines to help you get started.
- Writing a review is a great way to help out the library while getting to read — it’s a win-win for everyone!
- Being a Ghost
- Let your inner performer shine and bring Ghosts of Galesburg to life! Our annual historical tour is one of our most popular programs, and you can help us make it a success. Volunteers will dress up and perform as someone from Galesburg’s rich history. A script will be provided. For more information, please contact our archivist at email@example.com or (309) 343-6118.
- This unique opportunity is great for volunteers who love the spotlight!
- Tech Tutors
- Tech tutors provide patrons with one-on-one assistance with cell phones, computers, and tablets. Tech tutors volunteers must be extremely patient, as they assist patrons with little or no experience with electronic devices.
- Volunteers must have experience with Windows, Android, or Apple products.
- This opportunity is great for anyone who is tech-savvy and enjoys helping others.
- Folding Newsletters
- The library sends out hundreds of newsletters each month. We could always use some help preparing them to be mailed out! In order to be sent, newsletters must be folded, sealed, and addressed. Volunteers usually meet on the third Wednesday of the month from 11 am to 1 pm.
- This opportunity is great for those who enjoy working with their hands and getting to know other volunteers.
- Sorting Books
- Each month, the library receives hundreds of donated books. Volunteers who choose to sort them will place them into boxes according to genre. This helps the volunteers who donate their time to set up the book sale.
- This opportunity is great for those who don’t mind standing or bending, enjoy working with their hands, and enjoy categorizing objects.
If you are interested in helping with any of these projects, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator Payton at firstname.lastname@example.org, (309) 343-6118, or stop by the Reference Desk!
If none of these sound like your kind of activity, consider joinging the Friends of the Library. This organization supports the library in multiple ways, especially through the Friends book sale. The Friends are currently looking for board members; an election will be held on Nov. 5 at 5:30 pm at the library. If you’re interested in joining the Friends or would like more information, contact Secretary Christine Sackey at email@example.com.